Fannatic Fann Club Discussion Forum: FAKE TWITTER ACCOUNT - Fannatic Fann Club Discussion Forum

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

FAKE TWITTER ACCOUNT

#1 User is offline   admin 

• Administrator
  • Pip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 18 February 2010 - 05:23 PM

Dear all,

It was brought to our attention the presence of a twitter account with updates by "Fann".

Please take note that Fann DOES NOT have a twitter account!

http://twitter.com/FannWong1971

Regards,
Fannatic Fann Club

#2 User is offline   shiliang 

• Fann Buff
  • Group: Fann's Fan

Posted 19 February 2010 - 01:17 PM

The account has been reported to Twitter already.

#3 User is offline   shiliang 

• Fann Buff

Posted 22 February 2010 - 07:07 PM

文芳影迷冒“芳名”拜年

http://showbiz.omy.s...0-129966/2.html

#4 User is offline   KATE-FANG 

• Fann Novice
  • PipPip

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:13 AM

恩恩
網頁已遭移除了
事情應該落幕了

#5 User is offline   emily 

• Fann Nut
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 February 2010 - 09:17 AM

How do I tell my friends IT'S NOT ME?
Fann Wong (below) learns of imposter on Twitter
By Kwok Kar Peng

February 22, 2010

FANN Wong has entered the Twitterverse, or so it seemed.

Who knew the 39-year-old star was so tech-savvy?

On her account 'FannWong1971' on the popular microblogging site started on 15 Feb, she wishes her fans worldwide a happy Chinese New Year, and even tweeted fellow MediaCorp celebrities like Eelyn Kok, Jeanette Aw, Joanne Peh and Andie Chen.

But read her tweets and something seems amiss.

She calls Jeanette 'darling' and Joanne 'dear'.

Hmm, Fann never struck us as being overtly affectionate.

The wallpaper on the page is tiled with her own photo.

She isn't known to be so narcissistic.

Then there's the excruciatingly atrocious English and terrible spelling.

Okay, so Fann is no Glenda Chong. But she's still not that bad.

A check with the actress' manager confirmed it: FannWong1971 is a phony.

But unlike another Twitter impersonator 'FannWong' who only tweets links to entertainment news, this new imposter has taken on the Caldecott Hill Ah Jie's identity in her tweets.

'She' sends out greetings to 'my fans', tweets about 'performing later' and also calls herself 'Fann jie jie' (Mandarin for elder sister).

Actress Eelyn, 31, the only artiste to have replied to the impersonator, told The New Paper she had been suspicious right off the bat.

That was why she replied FannWong1971's tweet with only a simple greeting.

She said: 'Celebrities are sensitive to numbers. No one would possibly put their birth year in their account name, thus letting everyone know their age. That was the main telling sign.'

Secondly, she added, Fann didn't use her photo as her profile picture in her Facebook account, so she believed that would be the case too if she started a Twitter account.

The bad spelling - 'tomoroow' and 'Gong Ci Fa Cai' for example - was a dead giveaway for Eelyn as well as Andie, 24.

The actor also thought the way FannWong1971 writes is like a 14-year-old.

Excitable

The impersonator is very excitable, with several exclamation marks and cloying endearments peppered liberally in the tweets.

Though it's not the first time that her 'imposters' have surfaced online, Fann admitted to The New Paper that she felt rather helpless this time.

She learnt about it when Jeanette SMS-ed her after receiving a tweet from the fake. Jeanette had wanted to check if it was really Fann.

'I wondered how to tell my friends that FannWong1971 isn't really me,' Fann said.

'Still, I'm not too worried because people are smarter and more careful now, and will double-check the identity first.'

She currently has two blogs, one on the Chinese site Sina and another on her local fan club website, where she updates the public on what she's doing.

The star, who's promoting her new movie Happy Go Lucky now, added that she's too busy to start a Twitter account and would prefer to just SMS her friends if she has something to tell them.

Jeanette, 30, told us she had her doubts because the way the imposter tweets is very different from the way Fann speaks.

She explained: 'I think on a public level, Fann won't call us darling or dear. I've played her sister twice and she calls me 'mei mei' (Mandarin for younger sister) in reality.'

But it seems some Twitter users have fallen for the trick.

FannWong1971 has 71 followers and one user also replied twice to 'Fann' after receiving a tweet from the latter.

This user welcomed 'her' to Twitter and also wished 'her' and her actor husband Christopher Lee a lucky new year ahead.

With imposters popping up to steal celebrities' identities online, what's the best way the public can differentiate the real McCoy from the fakes?

Andie offered some advice: 'The artistes, being colleagues, tweet each other like friends and not in the politically correct way. If you see the artistes tweeting each other that way, then it's the real deal.'

Jeanette has another way.

She said: 'Fans will know how the celebrities express themselves and their quirks. They can confirm the veracity from the tweets. I also have a link to my Twitter account from my blog, so people know my account is valid.'

It's only illegal when...

THE 'Fann Wongs' and 'Joanne Pehs' are multiplying in Twitter and Facebook.

Are they breaking the law?

Entertainment lawyer Samuel Seow from Samuel Seow Law Corporation told The New Paper that impersonation by itself may not constitute criminal behaviour.

It becomes criminal only when the impersonator commits acts of defamation or cheating while assuming the celebrity's identity.

Acts of defamation could be when the impersonator commits behaviour which would cause the celebrity's reputation to be detrimentally affected.

Acts of cheating would occur when the impersonator causes someone to pass over money to the impersonator, thinking he or she was the star.

However, under the Telecommunications Act, a person who transmits a message which he knows to be fabricated is guilty of an offence and is liable on conviction.

The penalty is a maximum fine of $10,000 or a maximum imprisonment term of three years or both.

They are faking it like they mean it

MEDIACORP artiste Vivian Lai also unknowingly became a victim of similar online impersonations.

In December last year, the 34-year-old actress-host and mother of two told Lianhe Wanbao she was 'horrified' to see a Facebook account opened under her name.

Not only were her personal details - full name, date of birth, marital status - accurately posted, there were organised photo albums of her and her daughters, Vera, 3, and 3-month old Ariel, as well as various snapshots of her with friends.

'It's unbelievable, seeing all these things about myself for the first time,' she said.

Vivian, a self-confessed 'computer idiot', revealed that she 'has never used' Facebook, the popular social networking website.

'Facebook? I don't even know how to spell it.'

She had some words for her imposter: 'If you really like me that much, please do not do anything to hurt me!'

A check on the fake Vivian Lai account showed several other local celebrities such as Dawn Yeoh, Fiona Xie, Ivy Lee and Michelle Chong listed among her 1,008 'friends'.

Host-actress Michelle, 32, was shocked to learn that it wasn't the real Vivian using the Facebook account.

'It was 'she' who added me first!' exclaimed Michelle.She has since removed the fake Vivian Lai from her list of friends.

Michelle said that she felt some of these online celebrity impersonators have a 'love-hate relationship' with the stars.

'If they truly adore a particular actor or actress, they would just have set up a website devoted to flattering him or her.

'By impersonating the star and saying some mean things through the pretence, I don't think that's really what a fan would do.

However, Michelle admitted to not being too vigilant when adding friends on Facebook, even after the fake Vivian Lai incident.

'I always give people the benefit of the doubt, so I don't double-check their identities.'

Other stars like 30-year-old actress Jeanette Aw are slightly more careful with their presence on the Internet.

Jeanette told us that when she is using Twitter, to prevent herself from chatting with a celebrity imposter, she would ask her artiste friends directly if they have a Twitter account. If they do, then she would look for their user names online.

The New Paper did random searches of popular local artistes on Facebook and found multiple accounts for a handful.

There were at least 10 'Joanne Peh' profiles, eight for 'Fiona Xie' and four for 'Zoe Tay', each complete with a headshot of the artiste and some, like in Vivian's case, with plenty of personal information filled in.

Fake Facebook users are not unusual in the Taiwanese and Hong Kong entertainment scene too.

Three weeks ago, cutie-pie Taiwanese singer-actress Rainie Yang, 25, discovered someone using her name on Facebook.

Her celebrity friends like actor Shawn Yue and director Oxide Pang fell prey to the bluff, adding the fake user as a friend.

Tan Kee Yun

http://www.tnp.sg/sh...,231059,00.html

#6 User is offline   onim3 

• Fann Novice
  • Group: Fann Newbie

Posted 25 November 2010 - 06:19 PM

so did fann have her facebook account??

#7 User is offline   Charmaine 

• Fann Follower
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 25 November 2010 - 10:00 PM

View Postonim3, on 25 November 2010 - 06:19 PM, said:

so did fann have her facebook account??

Fann have a weibo account! u can 关注 her ;)

Name: 范文芳

OR
you can check out her offical fanpage http://www.facebook.com/fannwong2701

#8 User is offline   onim3 

• Fann Novice

Posted 04 December 2010 - 10:40 PM

so fann didnt have her own facebook account?

#9 User is offline   onim3 

• Fann Novice

Posted 04 December 2010 - 10:47 PM

View PostCharmaine, on 25 November 2010 - 10:00 PM, said:

Fann have a weibo account! u can 关注 her ;)

Name: 范文芳

OR
you can check out her offical fanpage http://www.facebook.com/fannwong2701

so fann did not have her own facebook account??
she update her fannpage herself or its just fanns who update it??

#10 User is offline   xucongwen 

• Fann Supporter
  • Pip

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:26 AM

竟然冒充文芳欺騙粉絲,真是可惡至極!

實在搞不懂他這樣做到底得到了什麼好處?

發現facebook裡有很多這種人,請大家務必小心別上當喔!

#11 User is offline   TremoCox 

• Amateur

Posted 08 April 2011 - 05:28 AM

onim3, on 25 November 2010 - 07:19 AM, said: so did fann have her facebook account??

#12 User is offline   coco 

• Fann Supporter
  • Pip

Posted 09 April 2011 - 12:08 AM

冒充我们女神文芳,有何企图,有病!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users